Links to resources for creative writing, self-publishing, entrepreneurship, worldbuilding, and language.
Jeff Goins blogs about entrepreneurship and building a platform.
- Video course in building a platform
Jeff Goins offers a free video course in three parts about entrepreneurship and how to build a platform.
- The Nonverbal Dictionary
A dictionary with nonverbal behaviors, their psychological background and lots of sources.
- Internet Speculative Fiction Database
ISFDB seems to be for books what IMDB is for movies and TV shows.
How many words in a book? Find out by searching among this database’s more than 20 million titles.
- About.com Fiction Writing
A site about creative writing, lots of articles, practical tips, competitions, and links.
- Advanced Fiction Writing
Randy Ingermanson’s blog on creative writing.
Analysis of novels and discussions about how bestselling authors like J.K. Rowling, Suzanne Collins among others have structured their novels.
- DIY MFA – Do It Yourself Master of Fine Arts
diymfa.com is a site showing how to create your own Master of Fine Arts.
- FARP – Writing Tutorials
”FARP – Fantasy Art and Resource Project” has a section with articles on creative writing.
- Helping Writers Become Authors
A site that contains lots of articles on writing, focusing on novel structure, scene structure, and character arcs.
- Inside Creative Writing
A podcast about creative writing.
- Margie Lawson
A psychologist and writing teacher with a focus on writing emotions.
- TV Tropes
TVTropes.org is a catalog of ”tricks of the trade” for literature and movies.
- Wikihow’s Writing Category Page
Wikihow has information on a lot of topics, such as writing.
- Story Structure Database
Lists the structure of hundreds of films and books, founded by the author K. M. Weiland.
- Reedsy Plot Generator
Get help to come up with plots in genres like drama, fantasy, mystery, romance, and sci-fi.
- The Punctuation Guide
How to use punctuation in English.
- Unified Verb Index (University of Colorado)
- Creating Fantasy and Science Fiction Worlds
A series of articles on the subject of creating a fictional world. Covers theology, physics, weather, geology, botany, astronomy, calendars, biology, and anthropology.
- Creating Realistic Fantasy Animals
”10 Steps to Creating Realistic Fantasy Animals” describes, as the name suggests, how to create fantasy animals to inhabit a fantasy world.
- Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions
A list of hundreds of questions to use as inspiration for building a fantasy world.
- Medieval Demographics Made Easy
”Medieval Demographics Made Easy – Numbers for Fantasy Worlds” describes the middle ages in numbers. How many butchers in a medieval village with 500 inhabitants?
- Outline of Culture – Wikipedias very thorough outline of culture can be used to get ideas or areas to cover when creating your own culture.
- Project Rho – 3D star maps
Project Rho – 3D star maps for role-playing or SF.
- 7 deadly sins of worldbuilding – things to avoid when building a fictional world.
Earth – references
- moonconnection.com – moon phases from 1930 to 2024. fullmoon.info – calendar for full moons from 1900 to 2050. Lunar Calculator – manages most years, perhaps though not all kinds of calendars…
- Behind the Name — the etymology and history of first names
- Kate Monk’s Onomastikon (Dictionary of Names)
“This is a collection of names from around the world which was initially intended to help provide character names for live role-players.”
- Project Rho – Atomic Rockets – How to build your own hard-SF atomic rocket ship.
- Architect of Worlds – John. F. Zeiglers (GURPS Space) further work on star and planet generation.
A discussion forum for creative writing covering most of the above topics.